Is there anything cozier than a warm cup of cocoa on a cold day? This simple, soothing drink tastes even better with the addition of warming Cinnamon, with its familiar aromatic, spicy and astringent flavor. Make yourself a mug of cocoa, then put on your most comfortable clothes, curl up with a good book or your journal and sit by the fireplace. Scandinavian cultures have a word to describe this level of comfort: hygge.
We used rich, creamy oat milk to make this drink, but you can use any milk you prefer. Opt for organic ingredients when possible. Each serving yields about 6 ounces.
6 ounces milk (dairy or non-dairy)
2 teaspoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
Pinch sea salt
0.7 ml Herb Pharm Cinnamon Liquid Herbal Extract+
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk. (Do not allow it to reach a boil.)
- Meanwhile, in a mug, use a fork to whisk together the cocoa powder, maple syrup, salt and Cinnamon extract.
- Carefully pour in the warm milk and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnish with ground Cinnamon or Nutmeg, if desired.
- For a special treat, top with organic or homemade marshmallows, or a few chocolate shavings.
- The salt brings out the natural sweetness of the other ingredients.
+One full squeeze of the dropper equals 0.7 ml; provides approximately 1 serving of Herb Pharm Cinnamon Liquid Herbal Extract.